According to the American Cancer Society...
Cancer is complex, the journey one faces is never a straight line to wellness and is unique for each person. Many cancer patients continue to face daily challenges with their physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial well-being long after “active” treatment ends which may create increased stress and anxiety. We recognize how important high-quality survivorship care is to patients and families. MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center hopes you know we are here for you to help support your journey from where you are today until post-treatment care and beyond. It is our goal to provide education, support, and resources to assist with any concerns that you may have, in your own unique way. Knowing that not everyone has to do something entirely on their own may be a comfort to many persons affected by cancer.
Through a multidisciplinary team approach with physicians, nurses, physical therapy, social workers, and dieticians we hope to provide increased opportunities to learn more about health promotion and patient-centered care. We hope to develop and reinforce a partnership that will help those affected by cancer to hope, succeed, and live the fullest life possible.
Survivorship Support Services/Resources
- A dedicated licensed oncology clinical social worker that provides education, and supportive discussion. This may benefit those with concerns and/or anxiety throughout their cancer journey.
- Knowledgeable licensed certified genetic counselor who performs risk assessment for those who have a personal and/or family history of cancer.
- Physical therapy for cancer survivors may help to provide patients with optimal outcomes for daily living, especially our cancer survivors. Each patient receives specialized care from our professional physical therapy staff surrounded by a culture of healing and hope.
- Outpatient Oncology Nutritional Therapy Counseling sessions are available to assist survivors to develop personalized strategies for healthful living at all stages of care.
- Compassionate oncology registered nurse navigators assist with education, resources, and care coordination throughout the continuum of cancer care.
- MemorialCare Breast Center at Orange Coast provides comprehensive, integrated care.
- Wig and Prosthesis Bank
- Marti’s Closet gives comfort to those after cancer surgery through blouses that are gently worn, clean, and ready to wear. Patients may select button-down blouses free of charge during a time of possible need after surgery.
- Look Good, Feel Better - information and a referral code are available for our cancer patient survivors.
- The MemorialCare Cancer Institute at Orange Coast provides information and other general cancer education/ information resources.
- Access to research and clinical trials that are finding new ways to treat cancer.
- A comprehensive lung cancer program may help to assist those patients back to wellness and improve their quality of life.
MemorialCare Cancer Institute at Orange Coast Medical Center
We are a Commission on Cancer accredited facility and understand the value of long-term survivorship care. Our goal at the MemorialCare Cancer Institute is to provide an evidence-based approach with an emphasis on health promotion & education in order to meet the needs of the whole person, not just one’s cancer.
Quality Survivorship Care
Survivorship may be overwhelming and filled with many fears, concerns and questions about the future. Quality survivorship care may help to improve health, wellness and quality of life through prevention, screening, follow-up care, and ways to deal with possible lasting effects (late effects) of treatment.
Side effects and symptoms may include; fatigue, neuropathy, weight loss or gain, body changes, depression, insomnia, social isolation and more.