From our highly skilled, experienced surgeons, to our caring support team of nutritionists, psychologists and others, the MemorialCare Surgical Weight Loss Center at Orange Coast Medical Center offers everything you need to help you on your way to weight-loss surgery success.
We are an Accredited Metabolic and Bariatric Surgical Center with the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and the Bariatric Surgery. Demonstrating an uncompromised commitment to quality, we have earned the confidence, respect and trust of patients that are making a lifetime commitment to living a healthier life.
Your Partners in Weight-Loss Surgery
Our Surgical Weight Loss Center at MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center is a comprehensive program designed to provide our patients with support throughout their journey.
- Personalized navigators guide each patient through the process, review eligibility, and assist with insurance requirements.
- New Patient Class provides an overview of the surgical weight-loss journey.
- Psychological assessment ensures patients are mentally prepared and equipped for this life change.
- Weekly support groups are available before and after surgery.
- Nutritional education and support for optimal health benefits.
- A nurse navigator assists and answers questions throughout hospitalization and after surgery.
Weight-Loss Surgery Assessment
Who Qualifies for Weight-Loss Surgery?
Weight-loss surgery candidacy depends on each individual and their specific evaluation. However, each possible candidate will need to meet the following criteria to be accepted for a weight loss surgery procedure:
- Proven previous efforts at weight loss that include mainstream dieting and/or exercise programs. No “fad” diets will be accepted.
- Willing to make necessary changes in eating habits and a pledged motivation toward weight loss.
- Absence of medical problems that would make surgery and/or anesthesia hazardous.
- Usually between the age of 18-65.
- At least 75 pounds over the recommended weight for your age, height and gender or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater or 35 or greater with certain co-morbidities, such as hypertension, diabetes, or sleep apnea.
Surgical Weight Loss Center Physician Partners
*A referral may be required from your primary care provider.
1 Total Result
Obesity occurs when the body has accumulated too much body fat. When an individual’s ideal body weight based on age, gender and height is greater than 30 percent they may be obese. Being overweight may not mean that you are obese. You may be overweight from extra muscles or having bigger bones.
Diagnostics & Treatments
3 Total Results
Weight-loss surgery is typically very effective when patients follow their dietary and exercise plans, but in 20-30 percent of cases, these procedures may not produce lasting weight loss results and regaining weight may occur.
Find a Provider Near You
Located throughout Orange County and Los Angeles County, MemorialCare-affiliated physicians are locally and nationally recognized in their area of expertise. We've made it easy to find a quality healthcare provider right in your own backyard.