Saddleback Medical Center Contacts
- Pre-Admit Nurse: (949) 452-7431
- Scheduling Pre-Admit interview and COVID testing: (949) 452-3129
- Orthopedic Navigator: (949) 452-3781
- Admitting: (949) 452-3546
Long Beach Medical Center Contacts
- Joint Care Coordinator: (562) 933-4014
- PREP Unit Pre-Admit interview and COVID testing: (562) 933-1042
- Admitting: (562) 933-1335
Surgical Nutrition Guidelines
Good nutrition before and after surgery improves recovery.
High Protein Meals
- Eat at least 3 balanced meals a day that include high protein foods
- Your body needs more protein when recovering from surgery
- Eat high protein sources such as: beef, chicken, fish, pork, lamb, milk, cheese, eggs, tofu, beans, lentils and vegetarian meat alternatives
High Protein Supplements
- Drink 2 supplement drinks per day*
- Drink supplement drinks for 7 days before surgery and for 7 days after surgery
- Recommended Supplements:
|Ensure Max or Boost Max Protein||150-160||30|
Most products available at Amazon, Walmart, Target and CVS
*If you have kidney disease, talk to your surgeon before starting to drink high protein supplements.
Source: Wischmeyer, Paul E. “American Society for Enhanced Recovery and Perioperative Quality Initiative Joint Consensus Statement on Nutrition Screening and Therapy Within a Surgical Enhanced Recovery Pathway.” International Anesthesia Research Society. 2018.
Home Preparations Checklist
Preparing Your Home
- Before you go to the hospital, do your grocery shopping, prepare and freeze meals and put cooking utensils where they are easy to reach. Make simple meals that will be ready for you when you get home.
- Move furniture to make a clear path to your kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.
- You need a firm char with armrests. This makes it easier to get up. You should not sit in a chair that rocks, rolls or swivels.
- Place a non-skid bath mat in your tub or shower - a shower chair may be needed.
- For your convenience, you can place items that you use every day at arm level between your waist and shoulders.
- Watch out for slippery/wet areas on the floor.
- Pick up throw rugs and tack down loose carpeting. Cover slippery surfaces with carpets that are firmly anchored to the floor or that have non-skid backs.
- Be aware of all floor hazards such as pets, small objects or uneven surfaces.
- Provide good lighting throughout. Install night-lights in the bathrooms, bedrooms and hallways.
- Keep extension cords and telephone cords out of pathways. Do not run wires under rugs - this is a fire hazard.
- Have ice or a cold source available - we supply you with a cold wrap to use at home.
- Have a laxative of your choice on hand.
Total Hip Replacement Pre- and Post-Op Exercise Program
On your back: The number of repetitions may vary. Begin with 10 - 15 repetitions of each exercise two times a day
Total Knee Replacement Pre- and Post-Op Exercise Program
On your back: The number of repetitions may vary. Begin with 10 - 15 repetitions of each exercise two times a day.