When undergoing joint replacement, selecting physician specialists is an important decision to make. When selecting a team of physicians and a care team to guide you from joint replacement to recovery, it is important to look for specialists and a care team who are highly trained in their fields. The comprehensive team of joint replacement experts at MemorialCare Joint Replacement Centers located in Orange County and Los Angeles County are devoted to promoting a successful joint replacement recovery.
Why are there so many different joint replacement specialists?
Joint replacement can be treated effectively with a team of surgeons, physician assistants, coordinators, rehabilitation coaches, pain management team, physical therapists, and occupational therapists, who are trained in their area of expertise.
What does each joint replacement specialist do?
From diagnosis and treatment to education and recovery, a dedicated joint replacement care team provides comprehensive care. Working together with you and your “coach” throughout the process, the joint replacement care team supports you as you start your road to recovery.
Joint Replacement Board Certified Physicians
- Orthopedic Surgeon - Our leading orthopedic surgeons are dedicated to relieving your joint pain and restoring mobility and quality of life. Your orthopedic surgeon determines if you are a candidate for joint replacement. If you are, your surgeon ensures all your pre-op preparations are completed and performs the joint replacement procedure to repair your joint.
Joint Replacement Care Team
In addition to orthopedic surgeons, other medical professionals that may be involved in your joint replacement treatment and recovery process, include:
- Registered Nurse (RN) - For your care and comfort post-surgery, a registered nurse with experience caring for joint replacement patients ensures directions given by your surgeon are completed, including administering medications and monitoring your vital signs.
- Joint Care Coordinator/Navigator - Our specially trained joint replacement coordinator/navigator will guide you each step of the way, acting as your personal “navigator” to steer the way before and after surgery.
- Nurse Care Manager - The nurse care manager meets with you during your hospital stay to review your discharge plan. In addition, the nurse care manager assists you with your post hospital care needs and equipment needs, and is the liaison with your insurance company.
- Rehab Coaches - You are encouraged to identify a loved one as your joint replacement "rehab coach" to support and encourage you as you take your first steps towards an active lifestyle, providing support and promoting joint replacement recovery.
- Group Therapy Team - Our family centered care approach focuses on group activities, physical therapy, and support as the foundation of healing and recovery. The joint replacement group therapy sessions are led by physical therapists and rehab coaches.
- Pain Management Team – The pain management team ensures pain relief is specific to your needs, and begins even before the joint replacement surgery starts, to ensure you are as comfortable as possible at each step of your joint replacement surgery.
- Physical Therapist (PT) - The physical therapist works with you on your functional mobility skills and teaches you exercises designed for strength and motion. For example, the physical therapist shows you how to walk with assistive devices and up and down stairs within the first 24-48 hours.
- Occupational Therapist (OT) - The occupational therapist shows you how to perform daily tasks such as bathing and dressing. The occupational therapist may demonstrate how to use special equipment in your home after your joint replacement surgery, including shower/tub benches, grab bars and raised toilet seats.
How to find a joint replacement specialist
Orthopedic surgeons may also be found in our Find-a-Provider directory. Talking to your primary care physician and asking them for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon is a good first step to seek joint replacement treatment and recovery at the MemorialCare Joint Replacement Center.