Treatment Offered At
- Lactation Clinic, Breastfeeding Support and Supply Store at Miller Children’s
- Breastfeeding Support at Orange Coast Medical Center
- Breastfeeding Support at Saddleback Medical Center
At MemorialCare, we believe that breastfeeding is the best source of nutrition for your baby. To make the most informed choice about this important decision, we encourage you to attend our breastfeeding class during your seventh to ninth month of pregnancy. A board-certified lactation consultant presents the two-session class. Partners are also encouraged to attend.
Getting Started with Breastfeeding
- Take a class between your seventh and ninth month of pregnancy to make the most informed choice about this important decision.
- Breastfeed as soon as possible after baby is born (preferably within the first hour).
- Practice kangaroo care (mom and baby bare skin to skin) to help encourage the baby to nurse.
- Feed frequently at least 8-12 times in 24 hours.
- Latch baby deeply (not on the nipple) — if it hurts, it’s wrong.
- Offer no other food (formula, teas, cereal, etc.) or artificial nipples or pacifiers for the first four weeks, unless there is a medical reason.
A lactation consultant can help you with any breastfeeding issues. MemorialCare lactation consultants are registered nurses with advanced training in breastfeeding management and board certification.
- In-hospital consultations.
- Outpatient consultations/services.
- Breastfeeding classes.
- Special attention to intensive care babies and their families.
- Assistance with breastfeeding multiples and other special situations.
What Lactation Consultants Can Do For You
- Support your choice to breast feed.
- Teach techniques for a successful nursing experience.
- Help you feel confident about nursing.
- Answer questions completely with the most current information.
- Be someone who you can trust and respect for breastfeeding advice.
- Follow up with you about your nursing experience.
What a Lactation Consultation Includes
- Observing your baby breastfeeding.
- Evaluating any breastfeeding problems.
- Making suggestions for resolving any difficulties.
- Assessing infant weight gain.
Types of Consultations Available
- Pump instruction.
- Brief phone consultations.
- Lactation clinic.
- One-hour private consultation.