Make a Difference and Become Part of our Dedicated Team
Volunteers are a vital part of Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach care teams, providing compassionate services and support to our patients, families, and staff. Our generous volunteers offer their time, effort, and talents in a variety of assignments that supplement the professional staff, enabling us to provide the best services and care to our patients and families. We have over 600 volunteers throughout our hospital, assisting as guest greeters, escorts, messengers, cuddlers, etc.
We are always looking for new volunteers, who are enthusiastic, qualified and committed individuals that can uphold our MemorialCare values of Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion, and Synergy. If you desire to make a difference, to touch a life, or to learn while helping others, Volunteer Services at Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach can help find the right place for you.
Become a Volunteer by
Upon review of your application, the Volunteer Office will contact you to schedule an interview to meet and determine which of our volunteer vacancies you are best suited for.
Teen Volunteers Requirements - School Year Program
- Must be 15-17 years old
- Have a GPA score of 3.0 or higher
- Be able to volunteer during the Spring session (February 5th – April 13th, 2018)
- Submit the online application. (Applications will be available on Monday, December 18th)
- Attend the volunteer orientation on January 16th from 3:30pm to 5:00pm.
- TB placement (administered at no cost by a hospital nurse) Please note: If you have had a TB test within the last 6 months and have documentation, you will NOT need to have another TB test.
- A copy of immunization records
- Purchase a teen volunteer uniform at orientation
School Year Program is now full.
Please call (562) 933-9040 if you have any questions.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers must commit to six months of volunteering usually done in one or two 4 hour shifts per week.
- Complete background check, TB tests, and Influenza vaccination (during flu season).
- Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, departmental and hospital policies.
- Volunteers must complete an on-line application.
- Upon review of application, selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
- If assignment is mutually agreed upon, you will need to complete the following:
- Background check is required if you are over 18 years of age (Must have a Social Security number to be processed).
- Two TB tests (administered without charge by the LBM/MCHLB Employee Health Nurse).
- Influenza Vaccination is Required during Peak Flu Season
- Read Volunteer Handbook and Complete Hospital Policies and Procedures Quiz
After completing above mentioned process, you will be asked to:
- Attend Volunteer Services Orientation (offered twice monthly)
- Purchase a volunteer uniform at a cost of $23.00.
- Complete and show competence in your service area training(s) as related to your duties.