Make a Difference and Become Part of our Dedicated Team
Volunteers are a vital part of Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach care teams, providing compassionate services and support to our patients, families, and staff. Our generous volunteers offer their time, effort, and talents in a variety of assignments that supplement the professional staff, enabling us to provide the best services and care to our patients and families. We have over 600 volunteers throughout our hospital, assisting as guest greeters, escorts, messengers, cuddlers, etc.
We are always looking for new volunteers, who are enthusiastic, qualified and committed individuals that can uphold our MemorialCare values of Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion, and Synergy. If you desire to make a difference, to touch a life, or to learn while helping others, Volunteer Services at Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach can help find the right place for you.
Become a Volunteer by
Upon review of your application, the Volunteer Office will contact you to schedule an interview to meet and determine which of our volunteer vacancies you are best suited for.
Teen Volunteer Spring Program
Spring Volunteen Program Session Dates:
February 4th – April 5th (9 week program)
All volunteer shifts begin at 3:30pm and end at 5:00pm
Must be able to attend interview on Tuesday, January 15th from 3:30pm – 4:30pm.
And orientation on Tuesday, January 29th from 3:15pm– 5:00pm. TB Test and Flu vaccine will be provided at no charge.
Spring Online Application will be available on Monday, December 3rd.
Our Spring Volunteen Program is now full.
For more information, please call (562) 933-9040 if you have any questions.
Adult Volunteer Requirements
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers must commit to six months of volunteering usually done in one or two 4 hour shifts per week.
- Complete background check, TB tests, and Influenza vaccination (during flu season).
- Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, departmental and hospital policies.
- Volunteers must complete an on-line application.
- Upon review of application, selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
- If assignment is mutually agreed upon, you will need to complete the following:
- Background check is required if you are over 18 years of age (Must have a Social Security number to be processed).
- Two TB tests (administered without charge by the LBM/MCHLB Employee Health Nurse).
- Influenza Vaccination is Required during Peak Flu Season
- Read Volunteer Handbook and Complete Hospital Policies and Procedures Quiz
After completing above mentioned process, you will be asked to:
- Attend Volunteer Services Orientation (offered twice monthly)
- Purchase a volunteer uniform at a cost of $23.00.
- Complete and show competence in your service area training(s) as related to your duties.