Make a Difference and Become Part of our Dedicated Team
Volunteers are a vital part of Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach care teams, providing compassionate services and support to our patients, families, and staff. Our generous volunteers offer their time, effort, and talents in a variety of assignments that supplement the professional staff, enabling us to provide the best services and care to our patients and families. We have over 600 volunteers throughout our hospital, assisting as guest greeters, escorts, messengers, cuddlers, etc.
We are always looking for new volunteers, who are enthusiastic, qualified and committed individuals that can uphold our MemorialCare values of Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion, and Synergy. If you desire to make a difference, to touch a life, or to learn while helping others, Volunteer Services at Long Beach Medical Center and Miller Children's & Women's Hospital Long Beach can help find the right place for you.
Become a Volunteer by
Upon review of your application, the Volunteer Office will contact you to schedule an interview to meet and determine which of our volunteer vacancies you are best suited for.
Teen Volunteer Summer Program and Requirements
Summer Volunteer Program Session Dates:
June 24th– August 16th (8 week program)
Morning and Afternoon shifts will be available
(8:30am – 12:30pm and 12:30-m – 4:30pm)
Summer volunteer program is now full. Thank you
- Must be 15-17 years old
- Have a GPA score of 3.0 or higher
- Submit the online application
- Must be able to attend the volunteer panel interview on May 17th from 3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Must attend volunteer orientation with a parent or guardian on June 6th from 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- TB placement (administered during orientation by hospital nurse at no cost)
- Purchase a teen volunteer uniform at orientation
For more information, please call (562) 933-9040 if you have any questions or concerns.
Application/Screening Process For Adults
- Volunteers must complete an on-line application.
- Upon review of application, selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
- If assignment is mutually agreed upon, you will need to complete the following:
- Background check is required if you are over 18 years of age (Must have a Social Security number to be processed).
- Two TB tests (administered without charge by the LBM/MCHLB Employee Health Nurse).
- Influenza Vaccination is Required during Peak Flu Season
- Read Volunteer Handbook and Complete Hospital Policies and Procedures Quiz
After completing above mentioned process, you will be asked to:
- Attend Volunteer Services Orientation (offered twice monthly)
- Purchase a volunteer uniform at a cost of $23.00.
- Complete and show competence in your service area training(s) as related to your duties.