Choosing a primary care physician to oversee your health and well-being is an important decision to make. When selecting a primary care physician, it is important to look for a physician who takes time to listen to you, answers your questions and is someone with whom you feel comfortable.
MemorialCare Medical Group and Greater Newport Physicians are two of the many leading physician groups affiliated with MemorialCare. Choose a great physician from one of these groups and receive extraordinary care.
Primary care is usually provided in an outpatient setting. However, if you are admitted to the hospital, your primary care physician may assist in or direct your care, depending on the circumstances. When selecting a health insurance plan and primary care physician you are also selecting which hospitals you can be admitted to.
What a health system offers you
Choosing care from a health system helps:
- Ensure the clinicians treating you – whether they are in a primary care physician’s office, a specialist’s office or a hospital – have shared access through electronic medical records to information about your most recent diagnosis, allergies and tests.
- Streamlines your care to better manage chronic conditions and avoid the unnecessary duplication of tests.
MemorialCare is associated with many leading medical groups in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
What does each type of primary care physicians do?
- Family Medicine - A physician who is trained and board certified in comprehensive health care for people of all ages.
- Internal Medicine - A physician who specializes in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases.
- Geriatrics - A physician who specializes in prevention, diagnosis, treatment and disabilities of elderly.
- Pediatrician - A physician who is trained and board certified in comprehensive health care for infants, children, adolescents and young adults (from birth to 18 years of age).
In addition to primary care physicians, other medical professionals may be involved in your care may include:
- Nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistants (PA) – A registered nurse who has completed advanced training and certification. Nurse practitioners can manage acute and chronic medical conditions and are qualified to diagnose medical problems, order treatments, prescribe medications, and make referrals for a wide range of acute and chronic medical conditions.
How to find a primary care physician
It is important to choose the right physician for you. Find a leading doctor to give you the care and attention you deserve.
- Visit our list of Providers
- Call: 1-888-848-WELL (888-848-9355)
Our specialists are available to help you Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Remember, you do have a choice.