Jump to navigation
How to Properly Wash Your Hands
Live Healthy Topics:
For Soap & Water:
- Use warm running water
- Wet your hands before applying soap
- Rub hands together for at least 15 seconds
- Wash the back of the hands, between fingers and under fingernails
- Rinse with warm water
- Pat hands dry
- Turn off faucet using a paper towel
For Alcohol-Based Handrub:
- Apply product to palm of one hand
- Rub hands together covering all surfaces
- Keep rubbing until dry
- Alcohol-based handrubs are the BEST method for killing bacteria on our hands when hands are not visibly soiled.
- Alcohol-based handrubs are significantly less drying and damaging to skin than soap and water.
When Should I Perform Hand Hygiene?
- Before eating or handling food.
- After using the restroom.
- When visibly soiled.
About Hand Washing
- Some viruses and bacteria can live from 2 hours to several days on surfaces like cafeteria tables, doorknobs and desks.
- To save time when hands aren’t visibly soiled, use alcohol-based handrubs.
- Keep your fingernails clean, organisms love to flourish under and around them.
- Chipped nail polish may harbor bacteria.
- Natural fingernails should be kept to one-fourth inch or less in length.