Parkinson’s not only affects persons with the disease, but also spouses, family, friends and co-workers. For this reason, programs have been developed to offer support to these individuals.
Exercise: Orange Coast Medical Center offers free Parkinson’s exercise classes for patients, caregivers and family members. Benefits of exercise specific for people with Parkinson’s disease include: enhanced quality of life, easier mobility with day-to-day tasks, increased flexibility of the muscles, improved motion of the joints, decreased stiffness, and better posture and movements.
Support Groups: Parkinson’s support groups are offered at Orange Coast Medical Center, Saddleback Medical Center and Long Beach Medical Center. Caregiver support group meetings and Young Onset support group meetings are also offered at Orange Coast Medical Center.
Dance for Parkinson’s Disease class taught by professionally trained dancers: This class enables participants to explore movement and music in ways that are refreshing, enjoyable, stimulating and creative.
The following resources can be obtained by visiting the Resources & Support section of the American Parkinson Disease Association's website.
- Parkinson's Disease Handbook - symptoms, causes, treatments; 40-page booklet (English, Spanish, German, Italian)
- Be Active - a suggested exercise program for people with Parkinson's disease; 25-page booklet (English)
- Be Independent - equipment and suggestions for daily living activities; 22-page booklet (English)
- Speaking Effectively - speech and swallowing problems in Parkinson's disease; 34-page booklet (English)
- Good Nutrition - 20-page booklet (English)
- Young Parkinson's Handbook - 78-page booklet (English)
- Aquatic Exercise for Parkinson's Disease - 20-page booklet (English)
- My Mommy Has PD But It's Okay! - for young children; 20-page booklet (English)
- PD "n" Me - an insightful look at PD through the eyes of patients and families written from personal experiences; 69-page booklet (English)
- Caring for the Caregiver: Body, Mind & Spirit
- The Family Unit & Parkinson's Disease
- The Fine Art of "Recreation & Socialization" with PD
- Medical Management of PD
- Neupro-Opthamology and Vision
- Mirapex in Treatment of PD
- Fatigue in PD
- Healthy Aging
- Helping Your Partner
- The Challenge of Parkinson's Disease: Adapting To A Nursing Home
- The Living Will & The Durable Power Of Attorney For Health Care
- Why Parkinson's Disease Patients Should Not Got To The Emergency Room
- Hospitalization Of A Parkinson's Patient
- Comtan: Extending The Benefits Of Levodopa
- Dr. Andrew Weil's Recommendation For Healthy Aging
- Oral Health Care
- Medications To Avoid
- Basic Information About PD
- Managing Parkinson's - Straight Talk & Honest Hope - Especially for newly diagnosed Parkinson's patients and their loved ones.