The Pediatric and Adult Congenital Cardiac Surgery team partners with Miller Children’s Hospital and Long Beach Medical Center to provide prenatal, infant, pediatric, and adult heart care for patients with congenital or acquired heart disease.
The Pediatric Heart Center at Miller Children’s is one of only a few programs in Southern California to offer comprehensive cardiac care to patients of all ages. Our expert team of board certified specialists includes a congenital cardiac surgeon, critical care physicians, pediatric and adult cardiologists, advanced practice nurses, perfusionists, anesthesiologists, pharmacists, and critical care nursing staff. We treat every type of congenital heart defect, offering a multitude of the latest interventional and treatment options – all under one roof, in one location, one heart at a time.
Uniquely Suited to Care for All Ages
Working with Miller Children’s Hospital of Long Beach (MCHLB) and the renowned MemorialCare Heart & Vascular Institute (MHVI) at Long Beach Medical Center, we offer the latest in congenital cardiac surgical techniques. This powerful alliance has enabled us to assemble a uniquely specialized team of professionals to perform congenital heart operations on patients of all ages; from the tiniest newborn infant, to the transitioning adolescent, all the way to adulthood.
Our expert team of cardiac specialists provides comprehensive care for cardiac patients of all ages.
Our team includes:
- Pediatric and Adult Congenital Cardiac Surgeon
- Pediatric and Adult Cardiologists
- Critical Care Physicians
- Advance Practice Nurses
- Pediatric and Adult Perfusionists
- Pediatric and Adult Cardiac Anesthesiologists
- Pediatric and Adult Cardiac Care Unit RNs
- Respiratory Care Specialists
- Social Workers
- ECHO technologists
- Child Life and Physical Therapy specialists
- Feeding Specialists
- Palliative Care Specialists
Highly Personalized Service
Caring for our patients means taking good care of their family as well. At MemorialCare, our approach is simple: to provide personalized care that is tailored to meet the needs of the individual patient and their family. Our goal is to provide attentive and patient family centered care, and to make the overall hospital experience as seamless and pain-free as possible. With our personalized services you will:
- Meet your surgeon and care team prior to surgery – Let the team explain things in a way you will understand, and have a chance to get all your questions answered. This will be the same team that will be taking care of you throughout your hospital stay.
- Tour the facility before surgery – Meet some friendly faces, and familiarize yourself with your new surroundings. There is so much to do on the morning of your child’s surgery; it is often helpful to learn about the process ahead of time.
- Receive individualized nursing – After surgery you will be provided with one-on-one nursing care by a specially trained cardiac care professional nurse. This allows them to provide a little extra time to be especially attentive, explain things, and answer questions.
- Not be moved around the hospital – Your child will recover on the same nursing floor during the entire hospital stay. No moving around the hospital means less stress and a more peaceful and uninterrupted recovery, both for the patient and family.
- Receive support and guidance all the way home – As your child recovers, you will meet many team members that will support and assist you in the process of transitioning to home. Our professional nursing staff will prepare you to care for your child’s continue recovery after discharge.Our team of expert discharge coordinators and dieticians will interface with outside vendors to arrange for services and equipment you may need.
Our partnership with Miller Children’s and Long Beach Medical Center has enabled us to assemble a uniquely specialized team of professionals to perform congenital heart operations on patients of all ages; from the tiniest newborn infant, to the transitioning adolescent, all the way to adulthood.
- Atrial Septal Defects (ASD) “Hole in the heart”
- Ventricular Septal Defects (VSD) “ Hole in the heart”
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Double Outlet Right Ventricle
- Pulmonary Atresia
- Coarctation of Aorta
- Atrioventricular Septal Defects
- Aortopulmonary Window Surgery
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Vascular Rings
- Venous Anomalies
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return
- Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return
- Cor Triatriatum
- Transposition of Great Arteries
- Complex Single Ventricular Anomalies (including tricuspid atresia, mitral atresia, etc)
- Ebstein’s malformation
- Arterial Anomalies
- Anomalous Coronary Arteries
- Interrupted Aortic Arch
- Epicardial pacemaker placement
- Extracorporeal Membranous Oxygenation (ECMO for cardiac or respiratory collapse)
- Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction
- Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
- Valvular surgery
- Truncus Arteriosus
- Mediastinal Surgery (thymus, tumor, cyst resection)
- Intra/ Extra Cardiac Tumor resections
- Diaphragm Plications
- VATS Pulmonary biopsies/pleurodesis
- Pericardial Surgery (effusion drainage, biopsy)
Adult Congenital Surgery
- Valve replacements
- Atrial Septal Defect
- Ventricular Septal Defect
- Pulmonary Vein abnormalities
- A state of the art ECMO (Extracorporeal Membranous Oxygenation) program for medically refractory cardiac or respiratory collapse is present to care for the most critical patients.