Treatment Offered At
- Surgical Care at Saddleback Medical Center
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery at Saddleback Medical Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery at Saddleback Medical Center
Hysterectomy is one of the most common surgeries among women and is often recommended to resolve serious and sometimes painful conditions such as endometriosis, excessive menstrual bleeding or uterine fibroids. In recent years, many women have taken advantage of a less invasive, robot-assisted approach to hysterectomy that is known for smaller incisions, less pain, faster recovery, and a shorter hospital stay.
Now Virtually Scarless
A “single site” procedure takes the many benefits of robot-assisted hysterectomy a step further by decreasing the number of incisions from four to one. With just one, one-inch incision, hidden in the navel, it’s what you don’t see that is so impressive – no visible scar, or a minimally visible scar.
How Robotic-Assisted Surgeries are Performed
Through robotic-assisted visualization, dexterity, precision and control, a surgeon can perform a wide array of procedures through small 1–2 cm incisions. During an operation, the surgeon sits at a console in the surgical suite and directs the robotic arms to perform the surgery. The robot seamlessly and directly translates the surgeon’s natural hand, wrist and finger movements from controls at the console to the surgical instruments inside the patient.
Enabling Surgeons with
- Greater range of motion and precision than with hand-manipulated, minimally invasive procedures.
- A magnified, high definition three-dimensional view when operating.
- Instruments that become an extension of the surgeon’s wrists, hands and fingers to move the tiny surgical instruments in a delicate, precise manner.
Benefits of Robotic-Assisted Surgery
- Less post-operative pain
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stays
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities