Treatment Offered At
- Surgical Care at Orange Coast Medical Center
- Digestive Care at Orange Coast Medical Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery at Orange Coast Medical Center
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery at Orange Coast Medical Center
- Surgical Care at Saddleback Medical Center
- Digestive Care at Saddleback Medical Center
- Minimally Invasive Surgery at Saddleback Medical Center
- Robotic-Assisted Surgery at Saddleback Medical Center
Nissen fundoplication has a long track record with exceptional results and can be performed on almost every severe GERD patients. It is the most commonly performed fundoplication worldwide. During the procedure, the surgeon wraps the top part of the stomach around the esophagus to prevent the backflow of acids.
A robotic-assisted procedure consists of several tiny incisions through which instruments and a fiber-optic camera are operated. The camera enables the surgeon to view images inside the body on a video monitor.
This procedure successfully resolves reflux issues in more than 90 percent of patients with typical GERD symptoms (heartburn, regurgitation, dysphagia). Successful resolution of GERD airway symptoms occurs in about 70 percent of patients who have this issue.
How Robotic-Assisted Surgeries are Performed
Through robotic-assisted visualization, dexterity, precision and control, a surgeon can perform a wide array of procedures through small 1–2 cm incisions. During an operation, the surgeon sits at a console in the surgical suite and directs the robotic arms to perform the surgery. The robot seamlessly and directly translates the surgeon’s natural hand, wrist and finger movements from controls at the console to the surgical instruments inside the patient.
Enabling Surgeons with
- Greater range of motion and precision than with hand-manipulated, minimally invasive procedures.
- A magnified, high definition three-dimensional view when operating.
- Instruments that become an extension of the doctor’s wrists, hands and fingers to move the tiny surgical instruments in a delicate, precise manner.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
- Less post-operative pain
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stays
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities