The Diabetes Team
The Diabetes Team at Long Beach Memorial is proud to serve and care for the residents of Long Beach and the surrounding communities. Team members include Registered Nurses and Registered Dietitians who are Certified Diabetes Educators.
We are committed to fostering long-term success by developing ways to improve communication and education about diabetes. By providing diabetes-related resources, clinical interventions and education, we strive to create the conditions in which people with diabetes make healthy lifestyle choices, ultimately leading to improved health outcomes. Our program goals are met by following the guidelines set forth by the American Diabetes Association (ADA).
Diabetes Self-Management Training Program
This educational series makes diabetes self-management easy to understand. Each class is taught by Long Beach Memorial’s professional care team of Certified Diabetes Educators and is offered in both English and Spanish. A physician referral is required for participation in any of these programs. Most insurance plans will cover diabetes education.
The training program includes:
- Assessment of individual education needs.
- Explanation of diabetes medication and management.
- Blood glucose monitoring.
- Nutritious meal planning.
- Fitness motivation.
- Acute and long-term complications education and management.
- Skills that contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
- Insulin pump management.
- Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) with a registered dietitian.
- Gestational diabetes education.