Kari J. Nelson, MD, FSIR, completed her undergraduate studies at U.C. Berkeley and completed medical school at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In medical school, Dr. Nelson discovered Interventional Radiology (IR), and she was quickly drawn to IR’s minimally invasive approach, visual detail, evolving technology and incredible clinical results.
Dr. Nelson is most satisfied when she can help define and resolve a condition that has been adversely impacting a patient’s life, whether it is a vascular condition or a tumor.
I am very thoughtful and careful in my work. I approach every patient and every procedure with the highest level of detail, which is what I desire when I am a patient.
Dr. Nelson grew up in Fullerton, California. Outside of medicine, she enjoys spending time outdoors with family and friends, hiking, mountain biking, and skiing.
- Interventional oncology
- Imaging and treatment of vascular anomalies - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation
- Imaging and treatment of vascular disease
- Former Chief of Interventional Radiology, Dept of Radiological Sciences, UCI Medical Center
- Former Professor of Radiology and Urology at UCI
- Former Co-Director, UCI Ablative Oncology Center
- Former Medical Director, Dept. of Radiological Sciences, UCI Medical Center
- Society of Interventional Radiology Women IR Champion Award 2022
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Fellow of the Society of Interventional Radiology
- Fellow of the American Medical Women's Association
- American Board of Radiology, IR Oral
- Board Examiner 2018-Present Member. ACR Commission for Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology
- Society of Interventional Radiology "Women in IR Champion Award" 2022 Recipient
- Interventional Development Program Co-Chair, OCMC
- Cardiac Imaging Development, SCRMG
- Interdisciplinary Tumor Board, SMC and OCMC
Radiology, Vascular & Interventional Radiology
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Virginia Health Sciences
UC Irvine, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Imaging
UC San Diego, Vascular and Interventional Radiology
Fellow of the American Medical Women's Association (FAMWA)
Fellow of the Society of Interventional Radiology (FSIR)