Joint replacement is a surgical procedure where the worn out surfaces of a joint are resurfaced with metal and plastic components.
The MemorialCare Joint Replacement Center at Long Beach Medical Center is a leader in Southern California for hip and knee replacement performing more than 400 procedures a year. With a philosophy of wellness and mobility our patients undergo hip or knee replacement surgery and start walking the same day. Ninety-eight percent of our patients walk 300 feet at discharge.
Promoting a sense of wellness our patients dress in their own comfortable clothing and spend the day out of bed resting in recliners when not participating in group therapy or walking. Hospital stay is 1 - 2 days.
The program is designed to return you to a healthy and active lifestyle as quickly as possible. Ninety-one percent of patients surveyed would recommend our program to family and friends.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does joint pain limit my everyday activities, such as walking, bending, using chairs or stairs, reaching or getting dressed?
- Does joint pain continue, even when I'm resting?
- Does joint pain continue, even when I take normal dosages of non-steroidal
anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Does joint pain continue, even after treatments such as cortisone injections, physical therapy or the use of a walking device?
- Does stiffness limit my ability to move, lift or bend?
- Does my knee bow in or out, or remain swollen or inflamed, even after rest and medication?
- Do I experience harmful or unpleasant side effects from prescribed joint medications?
- Am I unable to tolerate cortisone injections, physical therapy or the use of a walking device?
- Am I forced to stop when you walk for more than 10 minutes or when you climb a flight of stairs?
- Is my sleep interrupted by pain or discomfort?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, speak with your doctor about whether or not you are a candidate for joint replacement. Call our Joint Care Coordinator at (562) 933-4014 for information or questions about our program.