Simple changes in your daily diet can protect you against heart disease.
Here are five tips to help you achieve better cardiovascular health
- Know your fats. Saturated and trans fats are associated with heart disease. To avoid them, choose healthy, unsaturated fats such as olive or canola oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. Broil, boil, bake or roast your foods instead of frying them.
- Eat less animal protein. Switch from meat to fish, soy products, beans and egg whites.
- Choose your carbohydrates wisely. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grain products and legumes.
- Reduce sodium. Use no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day. Instead, flavor your food with herbs, spices, lemon or lime juice.
- Enjoy healthy snacks. Select nutritious, between-meal snacks such as fresh fruit, unsalted snacks or baby carrots. Limit processed carbohydrates such as cookies and chips.