By Mike Vasilomanolakis, M.D., Chief of Staff, Community Hospital Long Beach
Creating a unique culture of service in health care is no easy task. For the past 90 years, Community Hospital Long Beach (CHLB) has stuck to its values to maintain its namesake and help our legacy grow, but that does not mean that CHLB is a stranger to change. By keeping a foot in the past and an ear to the future, CHLB is able to preserve the unique culture that has been a part of our hospital for so long.
Celebrating Three Years in the MemorialCare Family
We are now celebrating the 3rd anniversary of CHLB’s integration into the MemorialCare Health System and our future couldn’t be brighter. Since joining the MemorialCare Health System in 2011, we have made changes and improvements hospital-wide in order to create a better environment for patients and staff alike. I’d like to recap some of the successes we’ve been able to bring to our hospital and the community these past three years.
- More than 4.4 million dollars in the latest technology for patient care
- Extensive equipment upgrades, such as new beds, monitors, EKG machines and operating room equipment have been purchased for our hospital
- Across the Board (ATB) increases were awarded to all employees and continue today for
- non-bargaining unit employees
- Employees were transitioned to MemorialCare health benefits, saving employees money on health care and providing a wider range of options
- More than 2 million dollars have been spent in our infrastructure and seismic status
- CHLB began participating in the Gallup® Engagement Survey to assess employee needs and improve workplace satisfaction, resulting in our fourth consecutive Gallup® Great Workplace Award for MemorialCare
- Integrating the smoke-free campus initiative, to promote a healthy environment both inside and out of our hospital walls
- The “Good Life” employee wellness program, which focuses on the health and wellness of our employees opened a brand-new “Good Life” employee gym
- The Healing Garden was opened along with the new community healing program providing a comprehensive approach to care emphasizing each patient’s mental, emotional, spiritual, social and physical well-being
- The volunteer program welcomed 80 new volunteers and saw an 18.5% increase in overall service hours
- The pet therapy program was incorporated into the existing volunteer program at CHLB to relieve stress for many patients and their families, nurses, physicians and staff
- The name of our behavioral health unit was changed to the MemorialCare Center for Mental Health & Wellness and we expanded care to include a Geriatric Psychiatric Program, Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, Partial Hospitalization/Intensive Outpatient Program and an Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic
- Adding to the outstanding services offered by the MemorialCare Center for Mental Health & Wellness we are expecting to launch our Addiction Medical Unit later this year, which will help to fill another mental health void in our community
As you can see, the integration of our valued employees, volunteers and physicians into the MemorialCare Health System has been a huge success. Through all of these changes CHLB has been able to keep the legacy of our name alive. Having been able to make this many improvements in three short years begs the question, what do the next three years have in store for CHLB?
- Cardiology, Internal Medicine