Physicians Who Treat Obesity
When selecting a team of physicians to treat obesity, it is important to look for specialists who are highly trained in their fields. The comprehensive teams of expert weight-loss surgery specialists at MemorialCare Center for Obesity located in Orange County are devoted to help you lose weight and gain health.
What does each weight-loss surgery specialist do?
- Bariatric Surgeon - A subspecialty of general surgery, a surgeon who is specialized in surgical procedures specific to weight-loss surgery to treat obesity.
- Gastroenterologist - A physician who is specialized in disorders, conditions and disease of the digestive system.
- Plastic Surgeon - A surgeon who specializes in reconstructive techniques.
In addition to weight-loss surgery specialists, other medical professionals may be involved in your obesity treatment and recovery, including:
- Anesthesiologist - A physician who is specialized in preoperative care, anesthesia and airway management, intraoperative life support, pain control, intraoperative diagnostic stabilization and post-operative care.
- Registered Dietitians (RD) or Registered Diet Technicians – A professional who specializes in food and nutrition. They advise what foods to eat in order to live a healthy active lifestyle and to achieve total-health goals.
- Surgical Assistant or Surgical First – A trained medical professional such as a physician, surgical resident, surgical physician assistant, advanced practice registered nurse, licensed surgical assistant, or certified surgical first assistant who provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that assist the surgeon in preforming a safe operation with optimal results.
- Surgical Nurse – A nurse who is specialized in perioperative care, they provide care before, during and after surgery.
- Surgical Technologist – A professional who aids in preparing you for surgery, assist surgeons with surgical tools and equipment during surgery, and perform post-surgery practices.
How to find a weight-loss surgery specialist
Bariatric surgeons can be searched in our Find a Doctor physician’s directory. Talking to your primary care physician and asking them for a referral to a bariatric surgeon is a good first step.