A skin injury or wound can be open, closed or torn. Wounds that are open run the risk of infections and closed wounds can lead to tissue damage.
A soft tissue injury (STI) can occur from a sprain, strain, contusion or overuse of a particular body area where muscles, ligaments and tendons have become damaged.
- Crush injury/acute traumatic peripheral ischemia
- Inflamed blood vessels (vasculitis)
- Long-term/chronic bacterial infections (actinomycosis)
- Major Burns
- Peristomal skin irritations
- Preservation of compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Progressive necrotizing infections (necrotizing fasciitis)
- Soft tissue radionecrosis
- Cuts, scrapes or puncture