MemorialCare Health System is committed to being at the forefront of technology and to provide our patients with the best care and outcomes. Our highly skilled surgeons are trained in a number of minimally invasive robotic-assisted surgery.
Benefits of Robotic-Assisted Surgery
The da Vinci® Si Surgical System (da Vinci) provides breakthrough capabilities that offer greater patient benefits.
- Less post-operative pain.
- Reduced trauma to the body.
- Less scarring.
- Shorter hospital stays.
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions.
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities.
How the da Vinci® Si Surgical System Works
Through robotic-assisted visualization, dexterity, precision and control, a surgeon can perform a wide array of procedures through small 1-2 cm incisions. During an operation, the surgeon sits at a console to monitor the video screens and directs the actions of the robotic arms. The da Vinci seamlessly and directly translates the surgeon’s natural hand, wrist and finger movements from controls at the console to the surgical instruments.
Enabling Surgeons with
- A greater range of motion than hand-manipulated surgical instruments by moving tiny surgical instruments in a delicate, precise manner.
- The ablity to see the surgical area in a magnified, high definition, three-dimensional view.
Procedures Performed using robotic-assisted surgery
Robotic-Assisted Urologic Surgery
- Prostatectomy - Prostate removal for cancer or other conditions.
- Nephrectomy - Kidney removal for cancer or other conditions.
- Cystectomy - Bladder removal for cancer.
- Renal cyst decortication - Removal of kidney cysts.
- Pyelolithotomy - Removal of large kidney stones that fail treatment by other methods.
Robotic-Assisted Gynecologic Surgery
- Hysterectomy - Removal of the uterus to treat benign conditions or ovarian, uterine or cervical cancer.
- Radical resection - Removal of cancerous tissue and the restoration of the normal pelvic anatomy.
- Myomectomy - Removal of uterine fibroids.
- Sacrohysteropexy - Correction of pelvic organ prolapse and/or herniation of the vagina, uterus, and bladder.
Saddleback Memorial has the added distinction of being designated as the only gynecologic Epicenter in Orange County and one of only 23 such Epicenters in the nation.
Robotic-Assisted Heart Surgery
- Mitral valve repair - Correction of mitral valve prolapse with the patient’s own tissue or an artificial valve.
- Coronary bypass surgery - Creation of a detour around a blocked coronary artery using a blood vessel from the patient’s chest.
- Maze procedure - Correction of atrial fibrillation.
- Atrial septal defect repair - Repair of holes in the wall that separates the top two chambers of the heart.
Robotic-Assisted Gastroenterologic / General Surgery
- Colectomy - Removal of the colon for cancer.
- Total mesorectal excision - Removal of the cancerous portion of the rectum.
- Rectopexy - Restoration of a prolapsed rectum to its proper position.
- Fistula repair - Correction of an abnormal opening between the rectum and the vagina.
- Polypectomy - Removal of large rectal polyps.
- Gastrectomy - Removal of all or part of the stomach for cancer or other disorders.
- Cholecystectomy - Removal of the gallbladder for gallbladder stones or other conditions.
- Nissen Fundoplication - Treatment for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Robotic-Assisted Head and Neck Surgery
- Transoral Surgery - Treatment for cancer of the throat and voice box.
- Thyroidectomy - Removal of a cancerous thyroid gland.
- Parotidectomy - Removal of the parotid gland, the largest salivary gland.
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Bladder Cancer
- Cardiac Tumors
- Cervical Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction)
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Head & Neck Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Stomach Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Uterine Cancer
- Uterine Fibroids