This Diagnostic is Offered At
- Gastrointestinal (GI) Lab
- Bowel Disorder and Motility Center
- Digestive Care at Community Hospital Long Beach
Digestive Studies Utilizing Computer-Aided Technology Include:
- Anorectal manometry - measuring pressure in the anal canal and rectum for patients presenting with incontinence or constipation.
- Esophageal manometry - measuring pressure in the esophagus for patients presenting with chest pain or painful spasms of the esophagus.
- Esophageal pH study - measuring reflux acids in the esophagus, for patients suffering from heartburn or erosive esophagitis.
- Antroduodenal manometry - measuring pressure in the stomach and small bowel, using radioactive markers, for patients presenting with nausea, abdominal bloating or pain.
- Colon motility/transit studies - measuring the movement of waste through the colon with dye, for patients presenting with constipation or chronic diarrhea.
- Gastric emptying - measuring the flow of solid or liquid meals for patients with unexplained nausea or vomiting.
These tests are performed on an outpatient basis, and may take between one and five hours to perform, depending on the site being tested.