Diagnostic Offered At
- Breast Care at Long Beach Memorial
- Breast Care at Orange Coast Memorial
- Breast Care at Saddleback Memorial
- MemorialCare Imaging Center - San Clemente
Dedicated Breast MRI with Better Pictures, Clearer Answers
Breast MRI is a powerful diagnostic tool for detecting breast cancer. It produces a clear, sharp image capturing even the tiniest irregularities.
How Does Breast MRI Work?
Unlike conventional whole-body MRI, breast MRI is designed specifically for breast imaging. This sophisticated technology provides detailed images of breast tissue using a magnetic field and radio waves instead of the x-rays used in mammography. Digital 3-D images can be viewed from any angle with unprecedented clarity.
Extraordinary Care and Comfort with Breast MRI
An MRI scan with dedicated breast imaging equipment is very different from a traditional MRI scan. As you lay on your stomach, the breasts are placed through openings in the contoured examination table. The breasts suspend away from the chest, which means there is no added discomfort from compression. We ease you into the MRI scanner feet first, thus reducing feeling of claustrophobia.
For your convenience, same day appointments are frequently available.
Breast MRI May Benefit You
The American Cancer Society recommends that women at high risk for breast cancer complete a mammogram and a breast MRI every year. Women at high risk include those who:
- Have a known BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation.
- Have a first-degree relative with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, and have not had genetic testing.
- Have a lifetime risk of breast cancer of 20 to 25 percent or greater, according to standard risk assessment tools.
- Had radiation therapy to the chest when they were between the ages of 10 and 30.
Breast MRI may be recommended for women with dense breast tissue. Women with implants or with recently diagnosed or recurring breast cancer may also benefit from breast MRI.
Ask your doctor if breast MRI is right for you.