Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Here’s a scrumptious, lower-fat version of a favorite dish.
- 2 c macaroni
- 1/2 c onions, chopped
- 1/2 c evaporated skim milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 c (4 oz) low fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- As needed, nonstick cooking spray
- Cook macaroni according to directions, but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
to 350º F.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and rest of ingredients and mix.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
|Each Serving Provides:||Serving size: 1/2 cup|
|Calories: 200||Total fat: 4 g|
|Saturated fat: 2 g||Cholesterol: 34 mg|
|Total fiber: 1 g||Carbohydrates: 29 g|
|Sodium: 120 mg||Protein: 11 g|
|Potassium: 119 mg|
These recipes were specially developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). If this collection whets your appetite for more information on healthy eating or other heart health topics, visit the NHLBI online at www.nhlbi.nih.gov. Enjoy!