Say “Cheese,” because this healthy version of a favorite comfort food will leave you smiling.
- 1/2 lb lasagna noodles, cooked in unsalted water
- 3/4 c mozzarella cheese, part-skim, grated
- 1 1/2 c cottage cheese*, fat free
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 c zucchini, raw, sliced
- 2 1/2 c tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 c onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly spray 9- x 13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In small bowl, combine 1/8 cup mozzarella and 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese with all of the cottage cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce with remaining ingredients. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish. Add third of noodles in single layer. Spread half of cottage cheese mixture on top. Add layer of zucchini.
- Repeat layering.
- Add thin coating of sauce. Top with noodles, sauce, and reserved cheese mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into 6 portions. Makes 6 servings.
|Each Serving Provides:||Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories: 276||Total fat: 5 g|
|Saturated fat: 2 g||Cholesterol: 11 mg|
|Total fiber: 5 g||Carbohydrates: 41 g|
|Sodium: 380 mg||Protein: 19 g|
|Potassium: 561 mg|
These recipes were specially developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). If this collection whets your appetite for more information on healthy eating or other heart health topics, visit the NHLBI online at www.nhlbi.nih.gov. Enjoy!