Crunchy Crust Pumpkin PieWith only a small amount of oil in the crust and skim milk in the filling, this delicious pie is a heart healthy treat.
Yield: 9 servings
Serving size: 1/9 of 9-inch pie
- 1 C quick cooking oats
- 1/4 C whole wheat flour
- 1/4 C ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 C canned pumpkin
- 2/3 C evaporated skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar, and salt in small mixing bowl.
- Blend oil and water in measuring cup with fork or small wire whisk until emulsified.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. If needed, add small amount of water to hold mixture together.
- Press into 9-inch pie pan, and bake for 8–10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350 ºF.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla, and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk, and stir to combine.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 ºF or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
To prepare crust:
To prepare filling:
Putting it together:
|Each Serving Provides:||Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories: 169||Total fat: 7 g|
|Saturated fat: 1 g||Cholesterol: 24 mg|
|Total fiber: 3 g||Carbohydrates: 22 g|
|Sodium: 207 mg||Protein: 5 g|
|Potassium: 223 mg|
These recipes were specially developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). If this collection whets your appetite for more information on healthy eating or other heart health topics, visit the NHLBI online at www.nhlbi.nih.gov. Enjoy!