Apple Coffee Cake
Apples and raisins keep this cake delectably moist–which
means less oil and more heart health.
Yield: 20 servings
Serving Size: 3-1/2-inch x 2-1/2-inch piece
- 5 c tart apples, cored, peeled, chopped
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c dark raisins
- 1/2 c pecans, chopped
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil 13- x 9- x 2-inch pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine apples with sugar, raisins, and pecans. Mix well and let stand for 30 minutes. Stir in oil, vanilla, and egg.
- Sift together flour, soda, and cinnamon, and stir into apple mixture about 1/3 at a time–just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn batter into pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool cake slightly before serving.
|Each Serving Provides:||Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories: 188||Total fat: 5 g|
|Saturated fat: 1 g||Cholesterol: 11 mg|
|Total fiber: 2 g||Carbohydrates: 41 g|
|Sodium: 68 mg||Protein: 3 g|
|Potassium: 136 mg|
These recipes were specially developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). If this collection whets your appetite for more information on healthy eating or other heart health topics, visit the NHLBI online at www.nhlbi.nih.gov. Enjoy!