Genetic Counseling for Breast, Ovarian, Colon, Uterine Cancer | MemorialCare Medical Centers
Who should consider genetic counseling?
Breast and ovarian cancer diagnosed:
- A person with a "strong family history of cancer" (two or more relatives on the same side of the family with the same or related cancers, especially if the onset was at an early age).
- A person who has had cancer at an early age or who has more than one type of cancer.
- A person with a known inherited syndrome.
- A person with a rare cancer, e.g. breast cancer in a male, or adrenal cancer.
- A person who is very anxious based on their family history.
- A person who wants to know more about the role of genes in cancer.
Colon and uterine cancer diagnosed:
- Under age of 40 (age 55 if of Ashkenazi Jewish Heritage).
- In two close relatives under the age of 50.
- In an individual with bilateral breast cancer, the first cancer under the age of 50.
- Breast cancer in a male, any age.
- In any individual with breast and ovarian cancer.
- In any individual with ovarian cancer in one close relative.
- At any age and if you have a family history of bone or soft tissue cancer, sarcoma, brain cancer, leukemia or adrenocortical carcinoma.
Skin cancer - melanoma:
- Under 40 years of age.
- In two close relatives, under the age of 50.
- In three close relatives at any age.
- With colon cancer and uterine cancer in the same person or on the same side of the family.
- With multiple colon polyps (or family history of) at any age.
- Family history of melanoma in two or more close relatives.
- Personal history of multiple melanomas, with or without a family history.
- Patients with multiple unusual moles and a family history of melanoma or pancreatic cancer.
MemorialCare Health System is a not-for-profit integrated delivery system that includes six top hospitals – Long Beach Memorial, Miller Children's Hospital Long Beach, Community Hospital Long Beach, Orange Coast Memorial, and Saddleback Memorial Laguna Hills and San Clemente; medical groups – MemorialCare Medical Group and Memorial Prompt Care; an Independent Practice Association (IPA) – Greater Newport Physicians; MemorialCare HealthExpress retail clinics; and numerous outpatient health centers throughout the Southland.
Our community-based hospitals are located in Southern California in both Los Angeles County and Orange County.
Copyright © 1999 - 2013, Memorial Health Services. All rights reserved.