For appointments & directions:
Cancer Genetic Counseling
at Saddleback Memorial Medical Center
in Laguna Hills
Recognized as a National Institute of Health Center for Cancer Genetic Counseling, Saddleback Memorial is pleased to offer genetic counseling as part of it’s Cancer Risk and Prevention Program.
About 5%-10% of common cancers like breast and colon
are thought to be associated with inherited risk. Cancer
genetic counseling can help you gain a greater understanding
of your familial risk as well as preventive options.
Cancer genetics counseling is a one to two hour consultation with a
genetic specialist that includes:
- Construction of a medically focused family tree.
- Individualized cancer risk assessment based
on personal history, family history, and/or
- Explanation of how genes are inherited and
the difference in risk and occurrence between
hereditary and sporadic cancers.
- Determination of appropriate and available
- Decision making assistance that weighs the
risks and benefits of genetic testing.
- Discussion of the ethical, legal, and social
implications associated with genetic testing.
- Interpretation of genetic test results and
- Consultation with referring physician.
- Development of an individualized screening
and prevention plan.