MemorialCare Todd Cancer Institute (TCI)
at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
The Todd Cancer Institute (TCI) at Long Beach Memorial is dedicated to the early diagnosis, research
of patients with cancer or serious blood disorders. Through interdisciplinary treatment planning conferences, Todd Cancer Institute specialists review new or difficult cases and develop treatment plans suited to the specific needs of each patient.
At the forefront of cancer management are the divisions of gynecologic, breast, thoracic, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, radiation, genetic counseling services and robotic surgery. The Institute provides comprehensive care in a warm and caring environment. Personalized care developed for the unique needs of each patient is a clinical reality at the Todd Cancer Institute.
What Makes Us Unique
- The MemorialCare Todd Cancer Institute at Long Beach Memorial is the first cancer program in history to make individualized cancer therapy a clinical reality. Customized therapies also known as Targeted Therapy offer additional treatment options.
- The National HCIA-Sachs Award was awarded to our Institute for being one of Southern California's top two centers and for having the lowest complication rate of any cancer program in the Southland.
Named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology, MemorialCare Breast Center, is dedicated to the early detection and treatment of breast cancer. The Center uses the latest in digital, MRI and ultrasound technology and has a multidisciplinary approach to treatment.
- The gynecologic oncology program treats four times as many patients as the average California hospital and ranks in the top four in the nation for patient access to clinical trials for ovarian, cervical and uterine cancers.
- Long Beach Memorial is the only medical center in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego County with a children's hospital on its campus. Miller Children's is home to the renowned Jonathan Jaques Children's Cancer Center (JJCCC).
- Cancer patients have access to more than 100 ongoing cancer research protocols annually.
- The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer accredits the Todd Cancer Institute as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program, which is the highest level accreditation possible for community hospitals.
The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Radiation Oncology Center consistently achieves breakthrough results, using the most advanced therapies available - TomoTherapy, endocurietherapy (brachytherapy), hyperthermia, external beam radiation therapy and radiosurgery.
- Long Beach Memorial is the first hospital in the Greater Long Beach area to offer patients the electromagnetic navigation bronchoscope (ENB)™.
- Our radiologists and pathologists are nationally renowned for their expertise in accurate cancer diagnosis.
- We were chosen for a worldwide prostate cancer prevention trial because of our five year survival rates - which is well above the national average.
The da Vinci S® Surgical System (da Vinci) provides breakthrough capabilities that offer greater patient benefits.
- Cancer patients and families may call or e-mail an experienced oncology nurse who can assist in answering specific questions about cancer diagnoses and available treatments.
- Cancer Answers provides referral services associated with the Todd Cancer Institute at Long Beach Memorial and outside facilities and agencies.
Becoming a Patient
- You can call or e-mail Cancer Answers for information on available treatments.
- Your primary care physician can refer a patient to a Todd Cancer Institute oncologists.
- You can check health plans for insurance information as needed or call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to check on your specific coverage needs.
- Most insurance companies will pay for a second opinion. Please check with your insurance company to verify this.