MemorialCare Health System Your Health: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A Guide to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can happen within a matter of minutes and is responsible for more deaths than any other single poison. This odorless, colorless poison can hurt you slowly even at low levels it may cause severe neurological deficits at low and moderate levels or take lives in higher levels. Protection against this deadly poison may be detected by installing a simple carbon monoxide detector in your home or office.
CO is produced whenever fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. It becomes hazardous when appliances are used improperly or not functioning adequately with poor ventilation.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat that people need to get informed about. By educating ourselves of the dangers of CO we can significantly reduce the health risk as well as save lives. Although everyone needs to be aware of the dangers, some people are more susceptible than others. The following are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Besides having your appliances inspected, those using fuel-burning appliances should have their homes equipped with carbon monoxide detectors to provide added peace of mind. Appliances can break down any time of year so it is important to have a back-up system in place to keep you informed when CO levels increase. A CO detector should be placed on every floor in the home to provide the best protection. Also knowing how CO detectors work can help maximize security.
Like Us. Follow Us. Watch Us.
Mission & Values
Awards & Recognition
Long Beach Memorial
Miller Children's Hospital Long Beach
Community Hospital Long Beach
Orange Coast Memorial
Saddleback Memorial - Laguna Hills
Greater Newport Physicians
Saddleback Memorial - San Clemente
MemorialCare Medical Group
Memorial Prompt Care
Graduate Medical Education