Starting in 2014, Covered California Health Benefits Exchange Plans will be in effect. If you did not qualify for coverage or could not afford health insurance in the past, things have changed due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- You can’t be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. You can’t be turned down for coverage because of your age, gender, pre-existing condition or other health status that may have made it hard to get coverage before.
- You may be eligible for subsidies that can reduce the amount you pay for insurance and health care services. You may be eligible for subsidies this year if you earn between 138 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level, which is up to $44,680 for an individual and $92,200 for a family of four.
- You can select from a range of plans to fit your needs and budget. Four tiers of plans are offered — bronze, silver, gold and platinum — with platinum providing the most coverage and bronze the least. You may also add optional benefits such as dental and vision coverage.
- If you don’t have health insurance coverage in 2014, you may pay a penalty collected in your taxes. The penalty will be based on your income and will increase each year.
How to enroll in a Covered California Plan
There are two ways to enroll in a Covered California Health Benefits Exchange Plan:
- You may obtain coverage by enrolling through a private insurance company that offers a health benefits exchange plan, such as Anthem Blue Cross.
- You may obtain coverage by enrolling in a plan through the Covered California Health Benefits Exchange.
Enroll in a Covered California Health Benefits Exchange Plan
Whichever plan you choose, ensure that it allows you access to the primary care physicians and hospitals you prefer.
Call 1-888-848-WELL (1-888-848-9355) to speak to one of our advisors about Covered California Health Benefit Exchange Plans.
Find a Hospital
MemorialCare hospitals accept the following Covered California Health Benefit Exchange Plans:
- Covered California: Anthem Blue Cross HMO & EPO – all plans, Blue Shield of California PPO - all plans, Health Net PPO - all plans
- See more Covered California plans accepted by our hospitals