Flu season is right around the corner and local doctors are encouraging South Orange County residents to get their flu shots. Saddleback Memorial Medical Center – San Clemente and the Orange County Health Department are teaming up to offer free drive-thru flu shots.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, five to 20 percent of the population on average gets the flu and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from seasonal flu-related complications. The flu can be serious, especially for children and the elderly, and Saddleback Memorial advises that people take the proper precautions to help prevent the flu.
The people that are eligible for flu shots are the following:
- Those 50 years of age and older
- People with chronic diseases
- Health care workers
- Women who will be pregnant during flu season
- People with health conditions that suppress their immune or respiratory system
- Caregivers or household contacts of children under five years old or adults over 50 years old
- Caregivers or household contacts of people with medical conditions that place them at higher risk complications from flu
Those that receive a drive-thru flu shot on October 18 are encouraged to donate a non-perishable food item for participation in Saddleback Memorial’s food drive. The food drive is being coordinated by the San Clemente Rotary Club and foods collected will be delivered to community food pantries.