Milestone Celebrates 25 Years of Innovation in Birthing, a Redesigned Facility, Community Support and More than 60,000 Deliveries
This month, The Women’s Hospital at Saddleback Memorial Medical Center celebrates 25 years of transforming the birthing experience for local women, babies, and families. In honor of the milestone anniversary, the community is invited to celebrate at a family event, Sunday, May 19 from 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. at Saddleback Memorial in Laguna Hills.
“When we opened our doors in 1988, our hospital was on the cutting edge of a new approach to childbirth” says Steve Geidt, chief executive officer for Saddleback Memorial. “This new approach put the mother, baby and family at the center of the process in a personalized environment, with state-of-the-art technology and clinicians available 24/7 for their safety and convenience. These innovations revolutionized the way women had babies, and established a new standard of care.”
As Southern Orange County rapidly grew in the 1980’s, Saddleback Memorial’s leadership brought together top experts in maternity care to design a new facility, The Women’s Hospital, with the vision of being “The Perfect Place to Have a Baby.” Among the many innovations and “firsts” were:
- First facility on the West Coast to have LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum) suites, where the entire birthing experience could take place all in one room.
- First on-site level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in South Orange County. Babies who needed special care no longer had to be transferred to outside facilities.
- On-site medical specialists 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including anesthesiologists, perinatologists (high risk pregnancy specialists), and neonatologists (specialists in premature newborns or those born with health problems).
- Rooms designed with a homelike feel, complete with custom furniture and stylish, comfortable amenities.
- Dads and other family members could be present for the delivery.
- Babies stayed with the moms after birth instead of being whisked off to a nursery; pediatricians examined the babies in the rooms with their parents present.
- Event will be held from12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. at Saddleback Memorial Medical Center, 24451 Health Center Drive, Laguna Hills. Basement Level: Conference Room 1.
- Festivities include face painting; balloon artists; cupcakes and refreshments; a photo opportunity to reunite children with the physician who delivered them; and a special walk-through exhibit to explore the history of The Women’s Hospital.
- More information can be found by visiting memorialcare.org/sbwomens25